Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Savory Dish to Soothe My Aching Bones

Last week I was suffering with the ailment my son brought home with him.  My body was aching all over.  My head was pounding.  I had chills and could not get warm to save my soul.  However, I still had to be a mother and prepare dinner for my son.  And I guessed while I was up I would go ahead and make something for myself.  from some unknown place within I prepared a raw lasagna.  And it was delicious.  So I am calling it Lasagna filled with Joi.

I made it a bit hot because I was trying to clear out my system.  I would suggest if you don't like your food hot, then go light on the cayenne pepper or omit it altogether.

Lasagna filled with Joi

Noodles:  
Eggplant - sliced thinly lengthwise.  (I had a large eggplant so I only used half of it.  And I used a peeler to slice.)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Bragg's Amino Acids
Soak eggplant in water and amino acids for at least an hour.  I did this first so that by the time I prepared everything else, the eggplant was ready.

Cheese Sauce:
1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
Cashews - half a handful
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
2 cloves Garlic
2 heaping tablespoons Tahini
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 tablespoons Amino acids
Sea salt to taste
Water - start with one tablespoon and add as needed to get the desired consistency

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor.  The above measurements are estimates seeing that I really threw in the amounts that felt right to me.  I think I'm pretty close to what I actually did.  Once satisfied with the taste, place in a bowl.

Tomato Sauce:
1/4 cup Sun-dried tomatoes - soaked for at least fifteen minutes
2 heaping tablespoons Tomato paste
1/2 Onion
1 teaspoon of each - basil, marjoram, tarragon, oregano
Sea salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in food processor and place in bowl.

Other Layer Ingredients:
Chopped spinach (I didn't have fresh so I used frozen allowing it to thaw)
1/2 Zucchini - sliced thinly

Putting it all together - lay the eggplant out on a paper towel so that some of the liquid can be absorbed.  In a storage dish with sides, lay out a layer of eggplant followed by a layer of tomato sauce then a layer of spinach followed by a layer of cheese sauce then a layer of zucchini.  Repeat until you run out ingredients or space in your dish.  Honestly the order of layering doesn't matter.  Just be sure that eggplant is on the bottom.

That's it, you're done.  Slice off a chunk and enjoy.

This is a slice in my tiffin which I brought for my lunch the next day.

1 comment:

Live * Love * Laugh